Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Books?

My hometown has a really tiny video-rental store... As much as I used to spend there, I probably could have bought the entire store.

Going to Cash-Wise to rent from the old section (77 cents for a week-long rental) was, basically, heaven to me.

So, naturally, I thought that I knew a lot about movies.

That was until I came to Augsburg and a majority of the other film majors completely showed me up with their abundance of movie-knowing knowledge.

After briefly chatting with my film professor from last semester about movies or books I should be watching and reading (Mr. Cowgill--he is a very very very smart man) he responded, "Be as promiscuous as possible." He further explained something along the lines of, "Watch as much as you can... and when you have the choice, pick up a book instead." I told him that I would probably visit him sometime soon at his office for a list because I was in a hurry and had to leave....

...So today, after being very productive and getting everything else done, I went to the library--a place that I have not visited as often as I did earlier in the year.

And so I did something else that I haven't done yet... I just walked around looking for interesting books.

So imagine the big smile that came across my face when I found the film section of the library (a beautiful place that I have never encountered before) and gazed upon the hundreds of books about film.

I picked out two books...

"Truffaut (A Biography)" by Antoine De Baecque and Serge Toubiana.
After seeing three of Truffaut's films, he has easily become one of my favorite directors. I definitely need to see more French New Wave movies... they are not created solely for entertainment as most Hollywood movies are, but rather to convey an aspect of humanity. Please watch "400 Blows" and then ask yourself, "What does this tell me about society?" I would love to hear your answers and thoughts.

I also picked up:

"Becoming a Film Literate" by Vincent LoBrutto
It is a collection of essays about favorite films that reflect certain aspects of film theory and practice. I already read 3 or 4 of the essays and I love it. I will keep you updated.

PS. my roommate listens to extremely crappy music.

1 comment:

  1. Yes! Looking for random books is a good time. I tried it last summer, and I too had eyes full of wonder.

    ReplyDelete