Friday, February 6, 2009

There's a Class for This

New semester = new classes.

This is what's up:

Intro to Microeconomics. Professor Norgard.
Microeconomics is kind of a fancy word that people use to explain buying using graphs and numbers... so liking and being good at math is kind of expected.
Fortunately, I like math.
Unfortunately, I don't remember a lot of stuff from my calc class... but at least i'm not going to take physics. I heard that class is hell.
So far I like this class. I find it really interesting; in fact, i was actually thinking about minoring in the economic-business program. It is still a possibility but most likely not going to happen.
Class is interesting, but not all that exciting. Mostly powerpoints and explanations. The teacher is alright: he is a young guy and he seems to know his stuff. He likes extreme outdoor sports (rock climbing, etc...) and always likes to talk about the glory games of ndsu while trash talking the gophers. Homework is done on the internet with about one online assignment a week, not too hard. Unfortunately, I forgot to do the assignments twice already. I think I will be fine, but i know that the tests will be pretty hard...

Principles of Marketing, Professor Lohman
Meh... I don't know yet. My professor knows a lot about the subject matter, but I don't really think i am learning that much so far. She told us that one student has described her class as "death by powerpoint" so she is trying to liven it up a little bit... she has been somewhat successful. Class gets interesting once in a while when we go off on a tangent and start talking about funny commercials. I have yet to get a homework assignment for this class, but i'm thinking that she is going to surprise us all with a rediculously hard test.

Honors Science and Citizenship, Professors Engebretsen, Kuntz, & Butkowski
I hate science.
I HATE science.
This class is designed for honors students who are not majoring in a scientific field. The topic of this semesters class is natural disasters. We study catastrophes, health epedemics, weather disasters, etc in an effort to make the class more interesting. The lectures are probably some of the most boring lectures i have ever had. Nothing against the professors; they are all great people (I have 3 different professors team-teaching the class. they all have different scientific specialities) It is a lab science, which means I have to wake up at 8 am on tuesdays and sit in a lab for 3 hours (the labs are pretty fun so far), then i have 50 minutes to eat and then i have to go back to class at 11:50 for another hour and a half. I kinda hate tuesdays... cause right after class i have to sit through another hour and a half of....

Honors Liberating Letters, Professor Groven
This is my favorite class though this semester. And Groven is my favorite teacher. I would put some of his jokes online, but unless you know the man, they might seem somewhat innappropriate. The class basically studies Western literature and how it has affected the world we live in... and we do it in a really fun way. Example: we just finished reading the odyssey. Now, one group of students (the Crockett Firm) is charging Odysseus with (something along the lines of) First Degree Robbery, stealing sheep and rams from the cyclops and all that jazz. The class is super-interesting.

So, what i thought would be a difficult semester full of homework is a little less difficult and homework-filled than what i thought it would be.

oh well, no worries. it gives me more time to work on my films.

1 comment:

  1. You'd better post Bob's quotes online. I mean, just go back and read mine: Bob talked about his "orgy problem," and "knifing hookers."
    He is excellent.

    P.S., I totally agree with your assessment of the Hon. science course. I do a lot of doodling and a lot of texting in that class.

    ReplyDelete