Thursday, November 13, 2008

Temple Israel

Today for my Augsem we went and visited Temple Israel in Southern Minneapolis.

Until I got to Augsburg, I had never met a Jewish person. Ever. That was until I met Dan, a kid from Plymouth who lives on my floor.

And then today, we went and visited the Temple. It was definitely a great experience. Temple Israel is a Reform Jewish Temple. Reform Judaism is a form of Judaism that is a relativily modern, middle of the spectrum sect of Judaism. Rabbi Saks gave us a tour of the Temple, explained the foundations of Judaism, and then answered some questions.

After today and last week's tour of the Mosque, I've come to realize that the great three monotheistic religions are more similar than one might think...

All three follow the Old Testament.
According to Islam, Moses, Abraham, Jesus, and Noah (along with many other Old Testament characters) are all important.
All three are peaceful, loving religions that value social justice.
And there are many many more similarities.

But I've got a lot of homework to do... And I have an intermural Volleyball game tonight at 10:30.

No comments:

Post a Comment