Saturday, November 8, 2008

Life of an Auggie

The life of an Auggie:

In order to truly experience what it’s like to be an Auggie, one has to do a little bit of exploring. Yes, campus has got a nice, homey feel to it. You can spend some time in Murphy Park and (somewhat) feel like your out of the city. For the most part, everything you’ll ever need can be found on campus. But who doesn’t like to get out every onece in a while, right?

In order to really live the Auggie life, some exploring is neccassary. In my short few months here at Augsburg, I’ve definitely figured out how to get around Minneapolis.

I’ve been to the U of M.
I’ve gone to Dinkytown.
I’ve gone to Uptown.
And just the other night, I went Downtone.

I haven’t gone Downtown all that much.. I’ve been to the Dome for a Vikings and Twins game, and once to go to Club Spin… But when I was Downtown late the other night, it reminded me exactly why I decided to go to Augsburg.

The city is alive.

Take advantage of it. You’ll learn soo much, just by exploring (do it with a few buddies of course.. and be safe). But there’s soo much to do. The possibilities are endless.

Another great experience… yesterday my Augsem went to tour a Mosque in the Cedar-Riverside building. Coming from a (very) tiny town, this is NOT something I ever would have done back home...

It was a great (important) experience. There are so many misconceptions about Islam now a’days… It’s rather unfortunate.

We visited the Mosque, a young man explained the basics of Islam and the goal of their Mosque, we watched a prayer service (of about 50 men, which was amazing), and then he answered our questions.

It was one of my best experiences at Augsburg so far…. My explanations will never do it justice… It’s just something you have to experience on your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment