Monday, October 20, 2008

Send Me All Your Vampires

Tonight was stressful.

Every honors student is required to participate in the Honors Theater Lab... So basically all 40 something honor students write four different plays, act, direct, publicize, etc.....

I am the stage manager for one of the plays... This means I over-see set design, props, and all that stuff... the hardest part is figuring out entrances because our play is soooo complicated. It's really frustrating, but the play is bringing all us honor kids really close together.... some upperclassmen have said that most honor kids are best friends for life, and this play is one of the reasons for that...

On a much more random note... for some reason I've read a lot about the whole abortion issue and how it effects the election this year:

It all started when I went home this weekend. I come from a conservative family. I would consider myself an independent, however, my entire family is super republican and pretty much disowned me when I told them I would be supporting Barack Obama. So this weekend, it was no surprise to me when my 9 year old brother asked me why Barack Obama supports killing "babies still inside mommies tummies".

This didn't really bother me at all... I explained to him, yes Mitchell, it's called abortion and it happens when someone gets pregnant when they don't want to....It reminded me of my days in elementary school when kids would say "I'm not voting for John Kerry because he doesnt like hunting and wants to take my dad's guns away".

The next day, I went to church with my family. On the way out, I grabbed our church's newsletter thingy, and inside was a pamphlet titled "Voting with a conscience the Catholic way":

1. The right to life is the most important issue.

Now I'm paraphrasing, but that's pretty much what it said... And then last night on facebook, I saw a friend comment on someone else's note titled "Abortion" and people were really going at it... after looking at that, i noticed a lot of hardcore arguments on wheter or not it is the most important issue for Christians in this year's election.

And finally, I found this: http://www.newsweek.com/id/163896/page/1

I highly recommend reading that. It's pretty interesting. Pepperdine University law professor Douglas Kmiec, formerly dean of the law school at the Catholic University of America and a minor official in the Justice Departments of Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush, basically discussed three main points on why pro-life supporters (specifically Catholics) can feel good about supporting Obama. According to him:

1. Lawfully, the abortion battle is lost to pro-life supporters. It will never be overturned.
2. Abortion is not the only "intrinsic evil" of today. The Bush administration has been charged with "policies on interrogation of terrorist suspects, in its failures after Hurricane Katrina and in its detention of terrorism suspects at Guantánamo Bay."
3. And thirdly, "Senator Obama 'supports government action that would reduce the number of abortions,' including an "adequate social safety net for poor women who might otherwise have abortions."

So there ya go... I'm not telling you what to think.... Should abortion be the most important issue of today?

1 comment:

  1. Most definitely not. No one wants abortion, but there is more at stake than that alone. If they can over turn Roe v. Wade, who knows what else will go out the chute! Personally, I don't think I could ever get an abortion, but it's a woman's right if she needs to. The anti-choicers are all for keeping every baby, but the trend seems to be that they oppose the welfare and taxes that would get those kids a healthy life and good education.

    Perhaps I'm biased... but it just makes me sick when I hear whole congregations saying they will vote the way their pastors tell them.

    ReplyDelete