Friday, October 31, 2008

Crowd Control

Last night I went to see Bill Clinton speak.

Or as my grandpa likes to call him, "Slick Will".

I'm not a huge Clinton fan, but it was an opportunity that I could not pass up.

In fact, I would love to go see George Bush speak too.

But, about 6:50 pm, Dustin knocks on my door, and asks "Do u want to go see Bill Clinton speak?"

Three minutes later, we were running to the lightrail in order to make the train to downtown.

While on the train, we met an extremely nice man named Abdul. He moved to America from Samalya about 20 years ago. He has a son my age. He loves Minnesota, but he misses home more than anything. We talked for quite a while.

As we were talking to him, I was thinking.... I miss home a lot... But, I could not imagine being away from home for 20-plus years... It would be pretty hard to accept the fact that going home would be too dangerous and out of the question... here, i know that my mom can come pick me up if I really need anything. I can go home, sleep on my bed, look out over the lake, walk in the woods.... I'm pretty damn lucky.

And then Abdul got off the train with us and showed us how to get to the convention center. He was a lifesaver.

So... we got to the convention center around 7:30... waited in line and finally got situated.

FINALLY, two hours later... Bill Clinton came out to speak.

I have to admit... he is one of the best speakers i have ever seen.

And as I listened, i payed close attention to the crowd... it was a weird feeling... as if i was at a huge football game or something... people cheered. people booed. It was intense.

There were also some parts that i found disheartening... I know the same thing goes on at any political rally, regardless of political party, but I could not get over the "us vs. them" mentality... it was SOOO prevalent... but oh well.. the point of a rally is to get people excited... and it worked.

Oh, and I also voted yesterday :)

If you haven't done so already, get out there November 4th.

Express your opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment