Sunday, December 14, 2008

Holidazzle

Last night Katie and I went on a date.

I've only taken her out once since we got to Augsburg (Loring's Pasta Bar), so I decided to taker her out and relax before finals this week.

So we went to the Holidazzle parade downtown. We took the lightrail (which was free that day to prevent people from driving downtown and instead park near the mall of america) and got downtown at 6:30, right when the parade was starting.

We probably should have got there, considering Katie is basically 3 and a half feet tall and could not even see the parade... So i felt kinda bad about that, but she didn't really care. We didn't really watch the parade anyway... We both prefer to people-watch.

And while we were kind of watching the parade, we were also looking for someplace to eat. We had absolutely no idea where we were going to eat and we were kidn of just walking around aimlessly. Luckily, Katie wanted to eat at Applebees (I was scared that we might eat somewhere more expensive) and split some food. (Orange chicken is bomb)

After that we went to see the movie Australia. And I realized that my Intro to Cinema class has made me way more cynical towards movies.

A year ago, I may have liked this movie, but after watching all the great movies in my cinema class, it seems as if my standards have been raised.

The movie felt like it was concentrating too much on trying to be epic, rather than actually being epic. The action sequences felt like it was a wannabe Australian Indiana Jones. The romance seemed cliché. The plot between Nicole Kidman and the Aboriginal boy seemed like an afterthought... until the last 45 minutes of the movie focuses entirely on their relationship.

Or maybe it was just that I was tired... and the movie was 2 hours and 45 minutes long.

But it was a great night... Relaxing. And now I've got to write a paper today (after the Vikings game of course)

No comments:

Post a Comment