Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Annie, Use Your Telescope

I made a very difficult decision on Sunday.

I had my first training to be an Orientation Leader (OL). I went through the application process, a group interview, and then a personal interview (it was long, but definitely painless) and I was finally announced as an OL last Friday.

Sunday after training however, I had to turn down the position.

It was really hard for me to do... Basically, it comes down to the rule that a student can not be employed by both Residence Life and the Center for Service, Work, and Learning. Which means I can not be an OL and a Residence Hall Adviser (RA) next year.

Everyone knows that OLs have the most fun on campus... Yeah, there's a lot of overtime, but OLs go through all the training together, camping overnight at a retreat, and then the experience of welcoming all the incoming First Years.

Being an RA would also be pretty sweet. Getting to know a whole floor full of guys, and offering them help if they need it. The only bad thing would be that I would not get to live with my friends.

Oh, and after all the fun and games of both positions... you would of course get paid.

Yup, college is expensive... Keeping that in mind, I turned down the OL position hoping to become an RA next year and get paid a little bit more. That's not my only motivation, but I am REALLY short on cash right now... I was planning on getting a job this semester, but I'm just to busy... Hopefully next semester will be a different story.

And hopefully next year I'll be an RA.

On a somewhat similar note, speaking of money, Ethan was in the bathroom tonight with his own little business... He's offering hair cuts to people (genius idea). So far he has about 4 clients; he asked me if i wanted a hair cut (I desperatly need one), but I told him that nobody touches my head except my grandma :)

She has cut my hair my entire life (and done a fantastic job). I've probably got a professional haircut less than 5 times.... It's saved me a lot of money.

But kudos to Ethan.

PS. the new Jack's Mannequin cd is A-MAZING. (hence the title of today's blog). get your hands on it, asap.

It's all good.

No comments:

Post a Comment