Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Things I Miss

Hey everyone.

We finished the rough edit of our film yesterday... It turned out alright. Ya'll shall be seeing it soon.

So I got a marvelous package from my mother yesterday. It was full of many goodies that reminded me of a few of the things that I miss back in the states.

1) My friends and family. This is an obvious one. I missed out on the Minneapolis May Day Parade a couple days ago (although I heard it snowed!?!?!? ouch...), but there will be many other days to spend with friends.

And family. My mother was awesome and sent me the necessities for traveling (my razor/blades, plastic bags, a new set of earbuds because I broke my other ones). Also, she packed...

2) Kraft Macaroni and Cheese! She packed me two packages of it and I made one yesterday already. While I ate my macaroni and cheese, I also watched the White House Correspondent Dinner (it was the most American that I had felt in a while). I also made my Slovak Michal try a little bit of mac and cheese... He loved it:

3) Reeses Peanut Butter Cups... So I got the package yesterday, and I already ate four out of the six packages of Peanut Butter Cups.. Enough said.

4) My favorite restaurants: Chipotle, True Thai, and Hard Times (all found within a walking distance of Augsburg). Chipotle will probably be the first place I eat when I get back to the states... It's not that the food is bad here (I'm actually enjoying it a lot), but I need my comfort food that reminds me of home.

5) My grandma Kern's cooking. I could really go for some cheesey potatoes, chicken, and dressing.... I miss her and her house a lot. Every once in a while I also have a feeling of wanting to beat my uncle Kevin at 'Risk.'

6) My grandma Spanier and her beach... I also want to give golfing another try... Hopefully she won't beat me as bad as she did last time.

7) Augsburg/Minneapolis.

8) Minneapolis music. I often find myself listening to Atmosphere, Caroline Smith, Dustin Thomas, Gayngs, Bon Iver, and other Minneapolis music to remind me of home/memories.

9) My siblings, Emily, and Katie. I have spent the last couple days watching Planet Earth on my computer and thinking about how cool Mitchell would think it is... Also, every time I pass movie posters for 'Thor' in the metro, I think about how I would like to take Mitch to go see it.

10) Triple Rock Tuesday nights and Surly Furious Beer. Being at the Triple Rock Bar on a Tuesday night when I have a lot of homework is still one of the best feelings in the world... And yes, Prague beer is some of the best beer I've ever had, but every once in a while I could use some spice.

11) Having a MN Twins game on in the background while not actually watching it... It reminds me of my grandpa.

12) Eavesdropping on random people's conversations. While being in a foreign country, one of the most miniscule things is the inability to overhear what others are saying... However, the moment when you hear a person speaking in English, you can't help but overhear what they are talking about... It's kind of uplifting.

13) Buying things in bulk... Like milk. Or chicken breasts.

14) Biking. Prague is the worst city for biking... Ever.

15) Driving. I've been in a taxi about 5 times, but otherwise I have not driven a car for a few months now.

16) My book collection. I have had to settle for whatever English books are available to me... Mostly I have been lucky though.. Milan Kundera (I have read three of his books now), is now one of my favorite authors. He is awesome.

17) Eli Grobel and Cole Schiffler.

18) Smiling. Unlike Minnesota Nice, people here in Prague don't smile at you as you pass them on the street. I think that it is mostly a city thing, but I miss smiles.

That's all for now. Gotta go to class. Peace homies.

No comments:

Post a Comment